Anode Rod Missing in RV Water Heater

by Larry
(Jackson, MS)

Question: My Jayco Grey Hawk (2009, 31 SS) that we bought used does not have an anode rod in the water heater...only a drail plug. Should I put an anode rod in there?

Robbie: Surburban Waterheaters require an Anode Rod and it should be changed every year.

However Atwood does not use Anodes and claim the tanks are glass lined and don't need them. There is an after market Anode Rod for Atwood if you want to install one. It can be purchased at your local RV Store. Good Luck.

Thanks for the Question Good Luck,

Click here to post comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to RV Water Heater Repair Questions.

Enjoy this page? Please help us pay it forward to others who would find it valuable by Liking, Sharing, Tweeting, Stumbling, and/or Voting below.

Have a question about this topic?

Have a question about your RV? Chat with an expert one-on-one now.*

*Chat provided by, a third party not affiliated with MSRVR

Like This Page? Share It!


Have an RV Question?

RV Question Man

Ask A Pro

Browse Visitor Questions

Kind Words From Our Visitors

More visitor testimonials

Robbie Warford, San Diego RV Repair

Hi, I'm Robbie. Welcome to!

Like the name implies, this site is all about helping you save money while keeping your RV in tip-top shape--and that is all about you having the knowledge to do so.

I've been a technician in the RV industry for 30 years, operating out of San Diego, California. And let me tell you, I love my job.

But I also love empowering RVers with the knowledge they need to make the right decision on repairs, or to make the fix themselves--and that, my friend, is the reason for this website. I hope you enjoy.

Or, learn more about me, my RV service practice, & this website here.